If you are asking yourself why an Ohio college would pick up a sport like Lacrosse, let me throw some descriptions your way:
- Fastest growing sport
- Will bring in fans
Don't we wish these very same things were being said about our sport!
And I know my thoughts may alienate a lot of people, but that's a chance I'm willing to take.
The sport that is so exciting you don't want to miss it.
Athletes who attack relentlessly, constantly putting the opponent on the defense and pushing the action.
Its the way I believe matches should be wrestled, and its what I believe is the key to the future of our sport.
On the college level, some of the rules changes that would help are:
- Bring back the 1 second near fall like it used to be, rewarding athletes taking chances on top
- Don't reward riding time points unless near fall is scored (thank you to my friend Coach Jason for that one)
- Take a point every time someone goes out of bounds.
- Eliminate the horrible 4 point defensive lineman stance (if you get in it, you have 3 seconds to attack or you are stalling)
- Eliminate stall tactics such as grabbing fingers and other blocks that don't lead to an attack.
That's just a start. I'd like to hear from you if you have more rules changes that you feel would make the sport more exciting. Send me an email and let me know.
My wrestling friends, we have to push the action! Let's not wait until its too late!